Building a custom home feels exciting. As simple as it might seem, there is more to a custom home builders than meets the eye. Right from planning to completion, you require some expert advice to ensure that the project is successful.
Here is a systematic guide on custom home building. Keep reading to find out the important steps to put into consideration when building a custom home.
Phase 1: Preparations for custom home building
When the idea of building a custom home hits your mind, it is important that you give a clear though to it. At the initial stage, it is all about conceptualization and coming up with a checklist of the things that need to be done. This is a crucial stage of custom home building and will be carried throughout to the end of the project. Here is a breakdown on the things you need to think about when building a custom home:
1. Research the cost for the custom home building. Now that the idea of custom home hits you, the first step is to find out how much it can cost to put up a custom home. The estimate on cost will guide you when it comes to budgeting and the subsequent phases like home designing. Consider different designs and how much it can cost to build the house.
2. Determine budget. Now that you have an estimate on the cost of building a custom home, the next step will be setting up the budget. At the back of your mind, you need to determine the source of money for the project.
3. Determine the Site where you will set up the custom home. Now, you also need to determine the land that is ideal for the custom home. Choose a good location from the piece of land available.
Phase 2: Custom home designing phase
1. Based on the size of land available and the budget that you have set aside for custom home building, come up with an appropriate design. In this step, you can work with a qualified architect who will design the house based on the conceptualized image of the custom home you want to set up.
2. Choose a qualified custom homebuilder: It is always advisable that you work with a licensed custom homebuilder. Invite tenders from selected top rated custom home builders in your area. Explain to each of them the design and let them give you a quotation. There is a possibility that they will recommend some changes. Ultimately, the goal is to choose a custom home builder who offers the best and at a reasonable price. Agree on the project plan and sign a contractual agreement.
3. Ensure compliance with the existing laws: Your chosen custom homebuilder can offer assistance at this stage. Make sure that you comply with the existing local authority’s laws and regulation regarding buildings.
Phase 3: Custom home building
1. Acquisition of building materials: Consider the different alternatives on building materials and source for the best. The custom home building becomes smooth when you have bought all the major materials before the project begins. At this phase, work closely with the site engineers or the custom home building contractor.
2. Groundbreaking and building the custom home: This is all about building the complete custom home. You can break this into phases if you like. It involves laying the foundation, plumbing and wiring to roofing and painting. Some people prefer working with the same contractor who is in charge of everything right from foundation to handing over the keys to the custom homeowner. Alternatively, you can work with different contractors, although this might be a little hectic.
3. Project completion: Check the contract document to ascertain that everything is delivered within the contractual agreement. In case there are some bits not done to satisfaction, agree on a settlement. When everything is done within the contract, you can comfortably end the agreement.
Those are the important phases and sub-steps for custom home building. Always make sure that you choose a reputable contractor. Choose the one who meets the expectations and delivers within agreeable terms both financially and quality deliverable. With all that done, you are comfortable that at the end, the building will match your dream home.
At Build 4 You Inc, we’ll work with you to understand exactly what your goals are for your custom home building. Contact us today!